Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Plywood for utility trailer.

And my big mouth says . . . why a 'box' ??

Sounds like it becomes a 'permanent fixture' so that when traveling empty is
causes drag and kills the gas mileage {YES - I'm a cheap SOB !!}.

I have 2 of those utility trailers. The 'big' one uses a 4x8 ply sheet as a
bed, and folds for storage. Rather then cut the ply, I spend a few more
minutes and un-bolt the bed before folding. I like the extra support of the
full sheet, and I like the foldability that allows storage against the
outside wall of the shop. The ply goes behind it and a 'Green Tarp' goes
over all.

While I couldn't do that with a 'box' on it, sometimes it is nice when you
need to move bulk material, or things that 'roll' . . . like 100 and 150
pound 'Mushroom Anchors'. I used basic grade 2x4's for the upright's and #2
common 1x4's for the 'slats'. Assembled with SS screws and 'Hot Galvanized'
bolts, washers, & nuts. For storage, the pieces fit between the folded
trailer and the bed, up against the wall, with a 'safety cable' attached
between two eye bolts.

I did this when Joanne wanted a 2/3rds of a 'load' of garden soil - a full
load {3 'scoops'}was delivered free, anything less was $28 - minimum. A
'scoop' was about 500 lbs, she wanted two - the trailer has an 1100 lb
capacity. Made the 'cattle car' sides. Went to the garden center, 'lined'
the contraption with a cheap Blue tarp {big enough that it lapped over the
top, all around}, attached cheap, flat rubber pseudo-bungees to the
'left-long' bolts at the corners {to keep everything tight}, and told the
loader operator to, 'Fill'er Up !!'. Drove home no problem and no
'dribbles'. Even used my 'hand mover' to position the trailer so we could
get the wheelbarrow next to it {This soil was for the raised-bed veggie
garden}. Un-hooked one side and pulled it out. Tarp flopped down and
'captured' what soil gravity helped out. The rest was easy - a relative
term - we are talking about 1,000 pounds of dirt moved across the yard by
wheelbarrow . . .

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

{PS - the bed is a 'scrap' piece of 3/4 ply. It is still covered with glue
as it was covered with a rug and used as the top of a low 'presentation
platform'. If I had to buy something - it would be a sheet of 3/4 PT ply}

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I couldn't resist. Gloatable. HAD to buy it. All metal in excellent
condition, new(er) tires, lights, wiring all in tip-top
condition...BUT....
The previous owner had built a box from??
.
.
.
wait for it
.
.
.
flake board. (OSB without the nice binders..like cheap, aspenite)
It appears to have started out at 3/4", now WELL over 1 1/2".. swollen
somewhat..and totally delaminated.
The whole box came apart with a snow shovel.
Now... for new material. What do we like? (No, Lew, NOT mahogany marine
ply G)

I'm open to suggestions, even those including a painted finish of some
sort. Doesn't have to be pretty.

TIA!