Posted to alt.home.repair
Alex Alex is offline

Default Home Air Conditioner unit grounding .. any fix?

Hello everyone,

Monday night our AC unit (electric central air and heat) started making
a strange squeeling sound (like a loose belt on a car) then acted like
it was loosing power... going normal then slowing down then normal
again, etc. I turned it off and called a local repair shop which I've
used in the past.

They came out today, and after turning the break back on, the repair
guy touched the outside of the unit to get a shock which threw him back
a few feet -- he touched the outside of the unit, nothing internal.
After turning the power back off he did more digging and said the
compressor was grounding and either the compressor needed to be
replaced or the entire outside unit needed replacing.

This AC is about 23 years old and a 3 ton unit, and though we didn't
expect to spend the money now, we hoped to upgrade to a larger unit at
some point as we hoped to convert our garage into another room within
the next year.

Just thought I'd put this out there for others more experienced then I
to review. As I said, I've used this company before, and I have no
reason to not trust them... but before spending $3500 or more I just
like to do some digging.

Take care --

Alex