Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bomb shelter, storm shelter, safe room...does any one have one of these in their home?

dpb wrote:
Goedjn wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:53:03 GMT, John~

You are aware, are you not, that a simple concrete-filled
block wall won't stop a tornado launched 2x4? ...

Where did you get that? Hollow block, no; filled, yes...

"The following are examples of wall and
door materials that passed the debris impact test

* 6-inch to 12-inch concrete masonry unit
walls, with vertical and horizontal reinforcement
and all cells poured full with 3,000-psi concrete..."

"Simple" isn't reinforced...ok, I gotcha'.

An 8" filled block wall would handle it from the impact standpoint
alone, I'd think, but the lack of reinforcing might prevent it from
staying intact in the extreme direct-hit Fujita F5. OKC/Midwest City 4
(or 5 now,maybe?) years ago, or Udall or Andover, KS, or Xenia, OH,
type monsters. OKC/Midwest City actually lifted asphalt paving from
highway roadbeds in places and scrubbed slab construction
clean...F3/_maybe_F4 largest thing I've actually seen (in open country,
thankfully) and they're impressive enough to not care about seeing
worse.