Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Bomb shelter, storm shelter, safe room...does any one have one ofthese in their home?

Bret Miller wrote:

I'm looking for some thoughts on including some kind of safe room in
my home I am about to build. It would probably serve as a safe room
for storms since we get a lot of twisters here, but I would want it to
be able to have offer protection so I will not have to tape over my
doors and windows with plastic and duct tape.

I saw on the discovery channel where this guy built a "bomb shelter"
under his home. He did it by hand and it was a work of genius. It
took him 16 years to do it and several hundred tons of concrete.
The guy had passed away by this point, but he must have had arms like
steel pipes.

I also am searching the web for some info, but there is nothing like
first hand information.

Go to http://www.fema.gov and look for publication 320. This publication
covers tornado shelters in particular with a lot of info from the Texas
Tech research folks.

Pete C.