Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Glue Creep - Was Bent Lamination

Alexy,

Most tillers are made from 10 plus one-eighth inch thick pieces of Mahogany
and Ash laminated together. The adhesive used is epoxy {with the proper
'fillers' to have it act as a glue}. The final touches are cut or carved,
and the finish is {SHOULD be} 6 & up coats of 'short-oil' UV varnish.

The handling, being banged about, and 24/7 exposure to weather {in more
cases then not}is probably the harshest treatment for such a structure

I have heard of tillers have been abused or even broken, but never by
delaminating, or the surface appearance of 'glue creep'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"alexy" wrote in message
"Teamcasa" wrote:

Below is an interesting thread on glue creep.
In furniture making or general woodworking I have never experienced glue
creeping after the glue has set. Yet others (below) have or are

concerned
about it.
Has anyone ever seen this situation (other than structural adhesives or
severe heat/abuse)?

Dave

Interesting. Thanks for creating a new thread for this, Dave. The
context in which I have seen the discussion most is in the
recommendation of plastic resin (urea formaldehyde) glue for bent
laminations, in which sheer forces ARE significant, and there is no
mechanical joint to keep the joint from moving if the glue allows
creep.

When I get a chance, I will run a test with laminations glued with
different glues, to see what kind of results I get. Will report back
here.
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked

infrequently.