Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68 bremen68 is offline

Default Table Saw Winter Storage

Student wrote:
Looks like my Craftsman table saw will have to spend the winter in my
12x12' garden shed. Gets pretty cold here, could dip to -30 C/-20 F.

Could storing TS under these conditions have any negative effect? Is
there a "winterizing" Procedure one should apply? Thx for your advice.

Shouldn't hurt anything really but the belt... One additional thing you
could do is pull the motor off and store that inside somewhere.

It'd keep the dampness out of it.

You could spray it with something too. One place to look for spray on
anti-rust items is marine shops. Just check to see how easy it is to
remove before you hose it down...

My saws and tools sit in the unattached shop and garage all winter in
PA and I haven't had any problems with them. I have a propane heater
for the garage (torpedo style) and a small coal stove in the shop that
I fire up if I'm planning on working on a project.

The only bad thing is that getting the air temp up doesn't do a thing
for tools that are still at the outside temp of around 15 degrees... ;-)