Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Paving

Adam-the-Kiwi wrote:
Hi

I am looking to put down a new paved patio in my garden. This is
approx 12m2 and will only get light use. I have come across some
conflicting advice regarding what to use as a sub-base.

This all depends on what is there now, it cannot be answered until it is
known.

Some advise that for a low traffic area 50mm of sharp sand will
suffice.

Some advise that 75mm of foundation is required beneath the sand. Of
these some say to use aggregate alone, some say to use a mix of
aggregate and cement.

So my questions are, is an aggregate foundation necessary, and if so
should cement be included? Also, should the sharp sand be mixed with
cement?

Cheers, Adam

If the land to be paved is already covered with concrete / tarmac / paving,
then 50mm of dry sand and cement is adequate, if it's loose soil in
flowerbeds, then this is going to sink, so it needs to come out now and
filled with crush and run, likewise if you are removing a section of
lawn...if the ground is firm, use S&C, if not use hard core first, then S&C.

The easiest way to get it right is to trammel it with a dry mix, then lay
each flag gently down flat on it and giveit a few taps in the centre to bed
it in, don't walk on any til the next day.