Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop`ö Pop`ö is offline

Default Phone wiring question: RJ11 to RJ45

Bob Vaughan wrote:
In article ,
mm wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:39:48 +0000 (UTC),
(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I remember someone saying they ought to be called 6P4C and 8P8C
(and RJ12 is 6P6C, what is 4P4C or 10P10C?). That describes the
specific connectors, but sounds awkward.

Actually, RJ-12 only uses 4 conductors, and can use a 6p4c, as can
RJ-13, and RJ-14. RJ-25 uses 3 pairs, and requires a 6p6c.

OK, I know the 4c or 6c is the max number of wires, but what does 6p
mean, and what does Mark refer to wrt 4P and 10P?

Position (maximum number of contact positions)
Contact (actual number of positions available to be wired)

A 6p4c is a plug sized for a maximum of 6 wiring positions, but with
only 4 of them having physical contacts. Frequently sized so that a
maximum of 4 conductor cable will fit in the plug.

You normally only see the mismatched numbering in the 6 position
plugs. You can get them as 6p2c, 6p4c, and 6p6c.

Everyone seems to have forgotten though that "RJ" defines a lot more than
the number of positions and number of wires; it also defines the intended
use of the plugs and receptacles and which pins are used for what. Specific
examples: RJ-11, RJ31, etc. RJ-11 uses only the two center conductors for
analog services, RJ-31 actually breaks a phone connection and allows one
piece of equipment exclusive use of the telco pair, etc.. There are many RJ
designations.