Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Barowski Larry Barowski is offline

Default AC drip pan (internal) poor design?

"sylvan butler" wrote in message
rnal...
On 17 Oct 2006 09:32:04 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:
AC units (like the one I bought) are specifically designed so that the
water that condenses on the inside coils is held in the pan below the
outside fan, which picks it up and flings it onto the outside coils

Until I read your response, I was exclusively thinking of central air or
split A.C. units. Your response didn't make any sense to me until I
remembered window A.C.'s. Different perspectives.

Obviously in the case of a split unit, the condensation pan is designed
to be a long way away from the outside (hot) coils so such a design
optimization is unlikely.

Though it can work well when the evap and condenser are close enough!

I can feel a big change in AC temp when rain hits the coils,
even when there is no outside temperature drop (here in SW
Florida, it often rains with no temperature drop). I wonder
what the difference in efficiency would be? Since my drip
drain comes out near the outside unit, I'm tempted to try to
rig something up.