Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Mandic Daniel Mandic is offline

Default television

EDM wrote:

Compared to traditional CRTs all of the new technologies are
junk. In fact they're specifically designed to be junk with
specifically limited lifespans. Plasmas have heat problems,
LCD backlights lose up to 50% of their brightness within the
first five years, DLPs are very prone to mechanical failure, etc.

With every one of these technologies, every second a set is
turned on counts against a finite lifespan counter: whether it's
an LCD backlight, DLP mirror array etc, the fact is, sooner
or later it's going to head south. While the same thing is true
of CRTs, that counter is in the range of tens of years instead
of tens of months.

If you want at least a several year lifespan from a TV set,
stick with a traditional CRT, or if you need more than a 36 or
40" screen go with traditional rear projection.

Hi EDM!

I can't complain

Maybe I may add something.

LCD is not so bad for eye-sight weak people. Also for much text-reading
it might be the better choice, due to its pixel-sharpness. (fixed
res... of course junk, bez I am reduced to Windows'es and cannot drive
other frequencies/resolutions pixel-correct)
Power Consumption is lower. 50-70W and 130-220W for a CRT

Plasma is surely outstanding when new . But keep care for Burn-In
(the TV-Station logo/sign for example, when watching the same Station a
longer time. You'll get that logo forever :-))
Plasma can compare to the fastness and deepness (Blacklevel etc...) of
CRT TV-sets.
Power consumption is higher. So at 500W begins the fun

CRT is in lifetime-length unbeatable. My last TV-Set I had for over 20
Years. It's a (still working, ~23 Years old) darktube TV-set and have
not lost its magical Black in this years. It got a bit darker but there
is still Brightness left, if I would do so. The Tube is Gray when
switched off and gets space-black when turned on.

I have now a new one, Black Matrix, for 249Bucks. Before I watched with
the S-VHS Recorder Tuner (Reference Tuner) connected to the TV (Battery
acid in the TV ran out and I couldn't memorize any channels).

All at all, even with Digital crap the CRT makes the better figure. It
softens the harsh, edgeless and jerking picture.

For Analog sources (PAL+/NTSC) the LCD makes not so a bad figure, IMO.
AND THE PLASMA too :-).... (best with an indoor aerial connected, some
Beer and the Soccer World Championsship live. 16:9 of course.)

Kind Regards,

Daniel Mandic