Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default Shipping Costs

On 17 Oct 2006 15:49:34 -0700, "Mark Wells"
wrote:

Locutus wrote:
why shipping is expensive

I totally empathize with the original poster.
If they said the part was $11 and the shipping was free, then I would
feel like I'm getting a good deal -- a fixed jointer for $11! Instead,
the part is $3 and the shipping is $8, so I feel like I'm getting
ripped off.

I have often wondered what would happen to my Lee Valley habit if they
lowered their shipping charges substantially. For example, a medium
shoulder plane is $159. Shipping is
$12.50, bringing the total to $171.50.
what if the plane cost $169 and the shipping was $3?
That seems like a much better deal, even though the total ($172) is
higher.

Like I said, I am totally irrational about this. Does anybody else
have a similar reaction?

Mark

I agree, to a limit. To me, shipping seems like a license to steal.
Shipping charges do appear to be out of line. I've heard the defense
- the cost of picking the item, the box, packing materials, etc, etc,
but IMO, that's the cost of doing business. That it's not reflected
in the item cost makes that item actually too cheap. You can't
*really* get the blurfl for $20, it's actually $30.

As a point of reference, I ordered a pair of gloves from
www.moosejaw.com They didn't fit right, so I returned them. I had a
choice here. They include a return shipping label with the
merchandise they sell you. All you have to do is put the stuff in a
box, slap the label on the box and put it in the mail. Easy. 'Cept
that using their label would reduce my refund by $8. $8 to use their
return label.

An option was available to send it on my nickel. That's what I did.
I cost about $3.50 at my local post office.

It's going to take them just as much effort on their end to open the
box and restock with either option. It just cost me less to pay the
postage up front.

BTW, I was credited the full amount of my purchase. Moosejaw is a
class organization. I'll be happy to do business with them at some
future time.

This is what the shipping apologists miss - giving the appearance of
using shipping as a profit center just turns the customer off. But I
suppose those organizations have more business than they need so they
can afford to make some percentage of their customers look elsewhere
the next time they need something.