Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Shipping Costs

"George Max" wrote in message

I think you'll save money. But maybe not as much as you'd hoped.

Some parts the junkyard won't have available. My son's car could use
a new headrest for one of the seats, but that's not available. Same
with some rear seat stuff.

Typically the junk yards sell entire interiors to a customer. They cannot
sell a complete set of seats with parts missing. Having been in the
automotive business for many many years, the insurance companies go to the
junk yards first for automotive seats. Stolen cars most always need new
wheels, tires, seats, and radios. There was a time in the early 80's when I
saw on a daily basis stolen cars being brought to our dealership to have
those listed items replaced. Then and I suspect now, you cannot buy a
complete seat assembly from an American automobile manufacturer unless a car
is wrapped around it. The insurance companies in the early 80's created a
market for stolen seats. They only bought used seats to replace stolen ones
and the demand for used seats was pretty high. Very often we installed the
same seats that were stolen out of the vehicle and the seats were delivered
by the insurance company. Strange... It tool them years to finally stop the
cycle and start buying individual seat parts from us and let us assemble the
seats. Costly but the stolen seat market dropped.