Posted to rec.woodworking
david blumberg david blumberg is offline

Default Curved chair backs- compass plane?

Lew, thanks very much for the response. I will consider that...

david

Lew Hodgett wrote:

david blumberg wrote:

I recently built 4 red oak hi-chairs for the kitchen island, and the
hardest part was the curved chair backs.

snip

Since you are trying to fair out an inside curve, take a couple of pages
out of the boat building community where fairing is a common practice.

1) Make a couple of profiles from 1/4" hardboard or 1/8" aluminum, if
you can find it and machine it.

2) Saw the blanks as close as possible on the band saw.

3) Knock off the high spots with a 4" right angle grinder equipped with
a rubber sanding pad and 24 grit discs. Use profiles to check your
progress. (Aluminum will leave black marks on the high spots)

4) When close, say about 1/16", switch to a 2" dia x 2" lg, 40 grit flap
wheel. You can use an electric drill but a low cost air drill is my
favorite.

5) When you are within about 1/32", switch to a rubber block and 100
grit to finish.

Using the above, I watched a guy fair out airplane propeller blades to
within 0.001".

I hired him to fair out my boat.

Nobody says it id easy, but it works.

Lew