Posted to rec.woodworking
david blumberg david blumberg is offline

Default Curved chair backs- compass plane?

lowell, thanks for the suggestion. I had not heard of that technique
before...

david

Lowell Holmes wrote:

"david blumberg" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Hi,

starting this as a new thread, originally was about finding a 3" pattern
(flush trim) router bit...

************

Thanks for all the comments...a 3" bit seemed like a scary idea to me,
also...

I recently built 4 red oak hi-chairs for the kitchen island, and the

snip

help

smooth things out. Any ideas on that, or any of the above?

I have since installed the Carter style BS guides on my saw, so hopefully
I can get closer and smoother with the bandsaw.

advice much appreciated!

david

I use spokeshaves. Veritas is the brand I use.

I cut the curve with the bandsaw and then use the spokeshave on the concave
side. I use shaves and hand planes on the convex side. On the first chair I
made, we relieved the wood in the curve with a back saw and chisels and then
used the shaves.

You cut lines across the grain, defining the curve, break the wood off with
chisels and then smooth it with the shaves. It is quick and very safe to do
it in this fashion.