Posted to alt.home.repair
Suzie-Q Suzie-Q is offline

Default How muddy is too muddy? (Plumbing)

My plumbing pipes run in the crawl space under my house. Recently
a pipe broke and flooded the crawl space. I turned off the water
and pumped out the crawl space. I also put a fan down there to help
(albeit not much) to dry the space out. The pipe that burst is at
the far end of the house, about as far from the access "hole" as
you can get. It's under the kitchen.

Meanwhile, the plumbers keep telling me it's too muddy for them to
fix the pipe. I said, "part of the job, getting muddy." They said
it's too muddy for them to do whatever they have to do to fix the
pipe, implying that the tools or whatever would slip or sink or
something.

I'm hoping someone here can tell me if they're really being honest
with me or they're just putting me off. They've already told me they're
very busy -- they've had to fire a couple of guys. And my repair won't
be a high-profit job.

Timeline:
--Water turned off completely on Thursday
--Crawlspace pumped out on Friday (done about 6 p.m.)
--Crawlspace drying out (with weak fan) Saturday-Tuesday
--Tuesday afternoon I was told it was still too muddy

Should I look for another plumber? Are the guys being honest with me?

Going without water this long has been a minor nightmare, as you can
imagine!

Thanks in advance,
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)