Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default pretty good (not outstanding) deal on 24" besseys

"Rick's Cabinet Shop" wrote in

This is probably a really dumb question, so go easy on me.. I've been
earning a living from cabinet making for 4 years now and I've looked
at Bessey clamps a million times in the store. I pass on them every
once I look at the price tag. Right now I use 3/4" pipe clamps and
Bessy "f" body clamps. I know when I glue up door panels I have to
make sure the pressure is right in the center of the screw and I
alternate clamps on the top / bottom of glue up to keep pressure even.
My question is, are these things really worth the money, and will
they make my life easier?

I don't do this for a living, just a hobby. But I have a bunch of pipe
clamps, a bunch of F-clamps, and still bought maybe 28 Besseys and Gross
Stabils, over time, to do kitchens and bathroom cabinets for family and
friends.

The glueups are much better, much faster, and more square, more easily.
You still have to check, and you still have to measure, but it goes
quicker, and is 'on' faster, IME.

If you build things for folks for a living, the cost of these clamps is
minimal. If you have a good job, and need to fit the work into spare time,
the cost of the clamps is still minimal. If you watch the wReck for news
of a sale, there's little reason to pay too big a premium.

Patriarch