Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Stuart is offline

Default Wallpapering round an opening

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:38:42 +0100, F wrote:

We have a wide rectangular opening (wide doorway, but no door) between a
dining room and kitchen.

Both ceilings are to be emulsioned and the vertical faces on the kitchen
side of the wall are to be tiled and finished with a plastic edging strip.

The dining room wall to the left and right and above the opening is to
be wallpapered but I'm not sure how to treat the underside of the actual
opening. Is it emulsioned, in which case I will have raw wallpaper edges
along the vertical/underside transition, or is it papered? Or is there a
third way?

Assuming that you havent't yet done the tiling how about papering the dining
room left and right walls ,turning the edges over on to the opening wall by
about half an inch then papering the underside of the opening ,thereby covering
the turned over edge from the living room,then turning the next edge over on to
the kitchen wall then tiling that wall .
Alternatively don't turn over the second edge ..just trim it to the wall and
then do the tiling .
To turn the edges over you'll possibly need to make sharp cuts in to the turned
over part if it is an arched opening .