Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Proper outlet orientation

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:NbbZg.4316$Z46.1529@trndny05...

"RicodJour" wrote in message

I've heard that "ground pin up" (for the metal wallplate reason) is
required on new work in some parts of Canada.

Can anyone confirm that?

The cover plate has nothing to do with the orientation. Nothing. The
grounding plug is a bit longer than the other two. Like the other guy
said, first to make, last to break.

I was told by an electrician that the practice was changed to ground up a
few years ago. The reason is that if a plug is not all the way into the
receptacle, something dropped, like a paperclip off a desk, will not cross
the two prongs and come to rest. It would most likely slide off.

I've also notice that a lot of new appliance cords, as air conditioner,
are made in such a way that they will hang better ground up.

Actually that would explain a lot of things. Every so often I run across a
heavy power adapter where the bulk of the adapter points UP in an outlet. I
totally hate those things because they do flop down unless the ground is
facing up.