Posted to alt.home.repair
Joshua Putnam Joshua Putnam is offline

Default Proper outlet orientation

In article NbbZg.4316$Z46.1529@trndny05, says...

"RicodJour" wrote in message

I've heard that "ground pin up" (for the metal wallplate reason) is
required on new work in some parts of Canada.

Can anyone confirm that?

The cover plate has nothing to do with the orientation. Nothing. The
grounding plug is a bit longer than the other two. Like the other guy
said, first to make, last to break.

I was told by an electrician that the practice was changed to ground up a
few years ago. The reason is that if a plug is not all the way into the
receptacle, something dropped, like a paperclip off a desk, will not cross
the two prongs and come to rest. It would most likely slide off.

That may be new as a code requirement some places, but as a reason for
putting the ground pin up, it's been around a long time. I recall
reading it in a home workshop guide from the 1950s, can't recall which,
that I got at a used book fair years ago.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/