Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Dimming lights - my house and adjacent street light

wrote:
My lights have been flickering (it's really more of a dimming, as they
don't get brighter), whenever something is turned on that takes a bit
of load - garbage disposal, vacuum, washing machine, AC, microwave,
even the toaster and the TV makes the lights flicker. It affects all
of the lights in the house. I've called the utility company and they
came out and replaced the 'taps' and told me to have a nice day. It
seemed to settle down for a day, but now they are dimming again. It
happens a lot - once every few minutes or so maybe, and it seems to
happen more in the morning than in the evening for some reason.

But the strangest thing is that I noticed that the *street* light
outside my house dims if I turn on my garbage disposal. I've asked my
next door neighbor if she has noticed her lights flickering and she
said she hadn't (which I don't completely believe because I swear I
saw her garage light flicker when my washing machine turned on a few
days ago).

So, who should I call first - the utility company or an electrician?

There are a number of possibilities but since you seem to have
identified problems outside you home, that would indicate a problem for the
utility company. Give them another call. Also keep track of the date and
time of every occurrence you notice. It could be a neutral issue or a
transformer.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit