Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default DIY: Lathe Control Pod (kinda off topic)

said:

You wouldn't want to have to reach over a spinning piece that is in the
process of leaving the lathe, etc.

DAMHIKT ;-)

As I don't have a VFD I didn't have to go through the building of what
you have devised here.

My old Jet 1014 mini was much simpler, and quieter. And if the switch
had not been located where it was, at my right hip most of the time, I
would have probably opted for something similar to your suggestion.

It has one added safety point over and above any normal electric wired
switch, in that the switch uses an plastic air hose, so you won't be
electrocuted when (not if) you pinch the wire, as it is an air hose.

This is quite true. However, one great thing about this pod is that
you won't get electrocuted, or even mildly shocked should you sever
the cord, or even drop the box in the bathtub. 17v at 3ma or 10v at
10ma is not likely to harm anyone. It switches low voltage
optoisolated inputs, not line voltage.

In that vein, however, I personally would use conduit for any line
current carrying conductors.

I find it very comforting to know I can switch the lathe on or off with
my foot, while having both hands on a tool while hollowing, and also to
have it right next to me while turning.

Now that you mention it, that might just be convenient for me as well.
The ability to position a hollowing tool through a tiny hole while
keeping both hands on the tool when powering up the lathe would be
advantageous. I have a few old mil surplus pressure switches that I
may add to the pod in order to augment it with foot switch capability.

Thanks, Leo. I'm stealing your idea.

Greg G.