Posted to rec.woodworking
david blumberg david blumberg is offline

Default Curved chair backs- compass plane?

Hi,

starting this as a new thread, originally was about finding a 3" pattern
(flush trim) router bit...

************

Thanks for all the comments...a 3" bit seemed like a scary idea to me,
also...

I recently built 4 red oak hi-chairs for the kitchen island, and the
hardest part was the curved chair backs. I cut them from oversized
blanks on the band saw, and cleaned them up with an oscillating spindle
sander, and sandpaper on a curved block of wood. They turned out OK,
but not perfect,and took a LONG time.

I just finished a cherry dining table (48" diam expands to 10 ft) and
want to make 6 cherry chairs to go with it. Have considered steam
bending (never done it) but the tenoning process seems like a potential
problem to me (among the other imagined problems)...

the bandsaw/oversized blank idea is pretty wasteful of wood, but is
probably how I will go...Considering getting a compass plane to help
smooth things out. Any ideas on that, or any of the above?

I have since installed the Carter style BS guides on my saw, so
hopefully I can get closer and smoother with the bandsaw.

advice much appreciated!

david