Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Proper outlet orientation

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:39:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message

I've heard that "ground pin up" (for the metal wallplate reason) is
required on new work in some parts of Canada.

Can anyone confirm that?

The cover plate has nothing to do with the orientation. Nothing. The
grounding plug is a bit longer than the other two. Like the other guy
said, first to make, last to break.

I was told by an electrician that the practice was changed to ground up a
few years ago. The reason is that if a plug is not all the way into the
receptacle, something dropped, like a paperclip off a desk, will not cross
the two prongs and come to rest. It would most likely slide off.

I suppose it's not enough of an advantage that it's worth changing
existing receptacles that need no other work.

I've also notice that a lot of new appliance cords, as air conditioner, are
made in such a way that they will hang better ground up.

Yes. That applies to my dryer (240V 30A) as well at 120V plugs.

Also. if you have 2 of those for one receptacle, how may have a
problem since the cord on one plug can cover up the other outlet. They
COULD make the cord come out the side, so you'd never have that
problem. BTW, this applies to wall warts (power supplies, remote
control modules, etc...) too.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."