Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default Dissecting A Candidate Turning (long) in a.b.p.w.

George wrote:

You can't change the size or composition of a piece, only its shape and
orientation. Some pieces are extremely high failure rate propositions, so
you do them only when the shelves are full of sellers.

Fortunately, I don't need to sell anything. I do go for the biggest
piece
possible in a blank, though going for the best piece in a blank is
what
I'm aspiring to.

Did one between
"standard" bowls of outstandingly figured wood yesterday, probably taking
longer than the preceding two roughs on it, and it just didn't look like
what I wanted as I approached final. It gets one more look this afternoon,
and if it hasn't shaped up, it'll sizzle and singe tonight.

No fireplace - the SF Bay Area doesn't get cold enough often enough
to make a fireplace worth the effort. And being a valley, Silly Cone
Valley specifically, a bunch of wood burning in a bunch of fireplaces
doesn't make the air that pleasant to breath. Bad enough during the
summer.

At some point, I hope to be more selective in what I turn. But for
now,
if it can be turned I'll try it. And once I start turning something
it'll
stay on the lathe til I get something or there's nothing left to
turn. OK
so if it's green and splits I'll throw it away. But short of that
it's keep
turning til you find "it" or it's all gone.

All the planning and effort in the world won't save a bad piece of wood
or overcome a bad design choice.

Good point.

To paraphrase
All the ideology and spin won't save a bad war or overcome a very
stupid
executive decision to start that war , with or without sufficient
troops
on the ground.

Fortunately the materials grow on trees, and I have pallets of possibilities
out there. Never be afraid to throw something into the fire and move on.
Life's to short to turn crap.

Up to now just the turning is fun. At some point I'll become more
discerning.
Eventually I may even get to the point where I can throw away a piece
of
wood, of whatever size or shape, which could, at some point in the
future,
be used - for something (other than firewood or land fill)

Wodoworking sure is fun!

charlie b