Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Bill is offline

Default Buying Wood

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:20:36 -0500, triker3 wrote:

Has anyone gotten their wood blanks from e-bay sellers and if so are these
reliable sources or just people selling scraps

I've bought quite a few pen blanks off eBay (and even sold a few tamarind
blanks there) and, for the most part, have been satisfied or better.

I DID buy some curly hickory that isn't very showy. Yes, as a technical
issue, it IS sort of curly ... but the waves are so flat looking that the
sticks just fizzle, not sizzle.

OTOH I've gotten some exotic stuff that was a great deal better than I
expected, also ... from the same vendor.

We cannot guarantee what the next vendor will ship ... but I think most of
us will do a search on "pen blanks", "bowl blanks" or "turning blanks"
once in a while just to see what turns up.

Bill