Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison Phil Addison is offline

Default Drain Central Heating System

On 15 Oct 2006 08:46:26 -0700, in uk.d-i-y "Barnsey"
wrote:

I need to drain the system down to do some pipe work to move an
upstairs radiator but i have not got any draining points. I'm told a
quick way is to remove a downstairs radiator screw on some kind of
valve to the radiator feed pipe and fix a hose to the other end.
Despite looking i have never seen such a valve, can anyone tell me if
they exist and where to get one.

If you have an open vented system you can do a surprising amount of work
on the pipes without draining at all, if you get a pair of "Drayton
Drain Easy" plugs (or make up your own equivalent). These are used to
block the vent pipe and the feed out from the header tank, then you can
cut into a 15mm pipe low down in the system and install a drain valve.
Only a cup full or two of water has escaped when I have done this, the
natural vacuum holding back the rest in the system contents.

Same principle for disconnecting 'live' radiator valves. Maybe you
should try it on one of those first, then if there is something about
your system that prevents the vacuum from developing, you can just
tighten up the valve again and use Ed and John's advice.

Drayton Drain Easy Kit http://tinyurl.com/y3kp96

or in full
http://www.invensyscontrolseurope.co...AINEASYKIT.htm

Note, these will not work on a presurised/sealed system.

If you decide to close off both radiator valves, do make a note of the
LSV settings so you can restore the balance setting after, just in case
your system is actually balanced. If not, see
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me