Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default Please help diagnose electrical problem

parangles wrote:
I identified the fan breaker and that is operating.

What do you mean by that? Is there voltage on the output line?

I identified a breaker that has two switches on it and one of
them cuts off power to the fan. It was suggested that usually the
same breaker operated the fan and the fan light.... hence the
breaker is not the problem ? I don't know what the other switch on
the dual breaker operates, or how to find out.

Also checked the overload breaker in the adjacent
bathrooms wall outlet and there is power in the outlet.

Are you certain it is on the line from the same breaker?

Someone suggested that as a possibility.
It is not on the fan breaker.

and if the outlet in the next bathroom is on the same line the open

could be in that box.

Opened it up - all wires well connected -power in switch and outlet.

If there is voltage out of the breaker and there is no voltage at the

switch to the fan there has to be an open in a box somewhere before it.

I don't know what breaker the light is on, and I don't know how to
identify it. None of the breakers are 'popped' -the fan breaker is OK.

Thanks.

Ah, I don't read well :-). Or I don't read carefully. I see your
problem now. The fan works but light doesn't!!

I can't imagine that the light and fan would be on different circuits.

I guess you are saying the fan is not operated from the switch area.

Obviously you already identified which breaker feeds the fan. It would
tell you if the outlet in the bathroom is on the same circuit as the fan.

What is above the ceiling? An attic? Trying to think where they might
have tapped off power for the light switch.

Are there more than one set of wires in the ceiling? What I might
expect is to have a pair of wires bringing power to the light/fan box.
Then a pair of wires running to the light switch.