Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default Please help diagnose electrical problem

parangles wrote:
Thanks to all !

I have removed the complete light fixture from the fan.
There is no power in the wires to the light fixture.

I also removed the lights dimmer/switch on the wall,
and there is no power to it.

I identified the fan breaker and that is operating.

What do you mean by that? Is there voltage on the output line?

Also checked the overload breaker in the adjacent
bathrooms wall outlet and there is power in the outlet.

Are you certain it is on the line from the same breaker?

Removed the breaker panel cover but no burnt wires are
evident at a glance.

I agree probably some wire is burnt somewhere- but where ?

Removing the entire fan and checking the wires coming
out of the ceiling is the only idea I have left
Any other thoughts before I call an electrician ?

If there is voltage out of the breaker and there is no voltage at the
switch to the fan there has to be an open in a box somewhere before it.
If the one the next bathroom is indeed on the same circuit that might
be a place to start. If it has those wires that plug in the one coming
out might not be making good contact.

and if the outlet in the next bathroom is on the same line the open
could be in that box.