Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default Insurance To Have When A Contractor Works On Your House ?

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Will be having a contractor in to put up some new siding.

I remember reading quiote some time ago that it is a wise idea to protect
yourself with some kind of insurance in case the contractor doesn't pay his
workers and they file a lien against you, (as well as against the
contractor), which apparently they can do.

What kind of insurance am I thinking of ?
Is it something I get, or insist that the contractor have ?

What other insurance should I check to see that the contractor has ?

If he's not too thrilled about giving me the details on this, how can I
check
what, and if, he actually has ?

Thanks,
Bob

You want to make sure his license is active, he is bonded, has
liability and worker's comp insurance. If he's "not thrilled about
telling you", don't even think about hiring him!

To find out this information, you can call your state's contracting
licensing board. They might have a website that will give all this info
too. Make sure you call them and confirm his status before work begins.

--
John Ross