Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles
Phil Kyle Phil Kyle is offline

Default New to automatics

Harry Bloomfield verbally sodomised in
:

Ok - in a moment of madness, I have just bought my first ever automatic
(Scorpio) and apart from 1/4 mile in a Jag twenty years ago, I've never
driven one before. It is to be a secondary car, rather than my primary
one and to be honest I was dreading trying to get used to it.

I have been quite surprised how quickly I got to be familiar with the
basics, though I there has not been any traffic yet to deal with - I
done about 75 miles on a variety of roads - sticking to just D and R
when needed. The first few miles were rather hairy, until I had worked
out to stick my left foot behind my right, but now I don't need to do
that. I'm now thinking it might even be useful to cover the brake with
my left in traffic - good or bad idea?

The manual doesn't give many clues as to how to use the gearbox
properly, it's got the usual P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1.

What's the best way to actually use the box (1 2 3 and D)?

Also are you supposed to put it in neutral when stopped in traffic,
does P actually provide an equivalent to leaving a manual in gear?

Is it normal for them to creep forward slowly at tick over, when the
brake is off?

Any points to be wary of?

Cheers..

Glad to see you're still as clueless as ever, Hazza! Have you figured out
how to switch your headlights on yet? ROFFLE!

--
Phil Kyle™

h i
i s