Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dooofuss@DOT.com is offline

Default Proper outlet orientation

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 00:51:57 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:
This might sound like a dumb question, but is there a proper orientation for
an outlet? I'm looking at the replacement outlet that I am going to install
and I notice (based purely on the text stamped on the outlet face) that the
text on the outlet is upside down if you put the ground prong on the bottom,
but the text on the outlet is rightside up and readible, the ground prong is
on top of the hot and neutral prong.

Does the orientation matter so far as code is concerned? Is there a reason
why having the ground tap on the top would be necessarily a bad thing - if
only because the cords wouldn't stay in the outlet or you'd have to always
twist the cord 180 degrees when you plugged in.

This has been discussed many times here. You can
orient the plug any way you want including
horizontally. Most plugs seem to be oriented with
the hole (ground) on the bottom, but other houses
have the ground on the top. Flat plugs are often
formed so that a plug with the ground on the
bottom is best. Orient it any way you want, you
can always turn it over later if you want a
different orientation.

I change mine every week. I like changes in my life and this is my
way to achieve change.

I think I like the ground down better though. It looks more like a
face.