Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default recycling tv's etc.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:50:16 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

As to the rest, do they clip out the transistors to recycle the
germanium? How much recycling do they really do? I was told by a
recycler that no one will pay for the stuff, and the counties have to
pay them to come and get it. If it were really recycled, wouldn't it
be worth something?

I saw some show on TV a bit back where in some poor country they get
mountains of junk electronics appliances (locally or on barges, don't
recall exactly) and poor locals pick through them getting specs of all
kinds of stuff to raise a few bucks.

Wow. I guess it's better than the guano mines, but otoh, they pay a
lot better. Hard to believe it would be worth it to ship stuff from
the US all the way to this place, or anywhere like it.

Definitely they knowingly took tv's and monitors in Baltimore County
until this opened, and probably still do. Just Sunday a friend of
mine told me how he missed the annual neighborhood dumpster and didn't
know what to do with a whole door, but he put it out, and the county
took it. I've seen them take kitchen cabinets too.

But they did cut out once a month bulk collection (big things) and now
one has to phone someone, and agree on a day to put it out. And pay
for it in most cases.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..