Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default A Bit OT - Satellite & Terrestrial TV in West Cork, Ireland

HI EP

On 16 Oct 2006 13:31:58 -0700, wrote:

Adrain,
Some local practicalities,
I suggest that you go to Skib, over the bridge past the hotel, turn
left and on
the left-hand-side about 50 metres on is a v small TV shop.

I've not seen that one......
This isn't the one just up the road from Fields, with the big ham
radio beam on the top, is it ??

Not very impressive but they are SKY agents, they service
trawler radios, are radio enthusiasts and really understand both the
basics of satellite and terrestrial.

Excellent - that's what i need.....
can even talk some ham radio with them to break the ice !

There are two sons of the fierce older lady, one does TV stuff and the
other real radio.

I addition, they understand the special problems of the area, bounce
off Gabriel, just how low the satellites are, etc. They have sorted my
sat-TV a couple of times after the gales displaced dishes. I have
discussed the physics of it all and I am
certain that they know their stuff.

Many thanks

Bite the bullet, spend a few Euros and get the local experts. Oh,
I think the bigger firm "T" in the centre of Skib much more
"impressive" but
may not be as good, lots of lads and flash.

Those are the 'experts' who put this installation in - losing faith
with them (just a bit !)

I'll be in Ballydehob next week and when I remember the name of the
excellent Skib TV folks, I'll put them on this discussion.

Yes - please do...

For the time being, confirmation of their whereabouts will do fine -
we'll be in Skib later this week

I really do think that local experts (I do mean experts) will be a
better bet than abstract advice from folks who have not had to set up
aerials in W Cork. (9deg West).

Agreed - though every input is welcome....
Where is your installation, do you have problems with loss of signal
during heavy rain - is this a symptom of my poor installation or is it
to be expected out here ..?

EP

PS... Although from the furthest West in Europe and a tad remote,
the folks I have recommended were trained in good
Technical Colleges and go to all the update events in London etc. Have
alook at the quality and orice of their HD stuff in their quaint little
shop

Will do - many thanks !
Adrian