Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default recycling tv's etc.

mm wrote in
:

Baltimore County just started accepting, at one of its solid waste
facilities, tv's, computer monitors, vcr's, and some other electronic
things.

How much recycling is actually done to these things and how important
is it to recycle them?

They always mention lead first as a dangerous substance in tv's and
monitors, but it seems to me, all the lead is in the front panel of
the CRT, and it can't escape to poison the earth. Even if the glass
is broken, only a little surface is exposed, and I'm not sure if even
the lead along that surface can escape.

As to the rest, do they clip out the transistors to recycle the
germanium? How much recycling do they really do? I was told by a
recycler that no one will pay for the stuff, and the counties have to
pay them to come and get it. If it were really recycled, wouldn't it
be worth something?

(The radio didn't say one way or the other if they would now refuse to
pick up such things curbside, as they have been doing.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

I saw some show on TV a bit back where in some poor country they get
mountains of junk electronics appliances (locally or on barges, don't
recall exactly) and poor locals pick through them getting specs of all
kinds of stuff to raise a few bucks.