Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Please help diagnose electrical problem

On Oct 16, 6:50 pm, "parangles" wrote:
A cheap fan light bulb separated between the base and glass and shorted
when I was unscewing it.
Now I am not getting power at the bulb or in the wall switch.
None of the breakers appeared to be tripped and anyway I switched them
all off
and on but still no power.
Whats up ? Am I right in assuming that its a breaker, and if so how can

I identify the right one.
Thanks !

I reread your message after it was quoted again. If there is no power
at the switch then my guess would be a pinched wire that has melted.

You should not have power between the to screws on the switch. You
should check each wire on the switch to the bare wire in the box.

If you have the switch out and it is still dead then most likely it is
in the fan itself.

There is a chance that the breaker is on another circuit, but it would
be unlikely. Turning off the breaker that stops the fan will most
likely be the one to the lamp.