Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:24:46 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

You might not be planning to use bigger stuff, but what about your
teen-age son, your brother in law, your wife, your father and anyone
doing anything when you are out of town, out of the house, in the
hospital, dead, or have sold the house to innocent but unskilled
people.

Same comment as above.

It sounds like your house has been wired incorrectly. It makes me
wonder if you might have the basis for a lawsuit.

I agree that he should get the rest of it checked. He might want to
check with owners of other houses built by the same builder. If
problems are not too many and not too big, maybe they can let the
original electrician fix them.

Simplest thing for him to do if he can't get at enouch of the cable
jacket to see what's printed on it is to bum a couple of inches of 14
gauge and 12 gauge wire someplace and compare the conductor sizes to
what he's got coming from that 20 amp breaker. The difference is pretty
obvious.

Well, I was thinking the problems may not be limited to gauge. Anyone
who would put in 20 amp breakers with 14 gauge wire can't be trusted
to do anything right.

snipped

In explanation of my tweaking you on that point; Your post, which I
replied to, was NOT a direct reply to the OP's post, where he certainly
did write that it was a 20 amp breaker.

used 20 amp recepticals as replacements for 15 amp ones, because he felt
the 20 amp ones were "higher quality". He said nothing about the
breakers on those circuits being 20 amps.

It's easy to lose track of who said what on extended multiforked threads
like this one, I do it all the time.

You're right. I did lose track of who said what.

Peace,

To you, peace.

Jeff

--