Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Proper outlet orientation

"Rich" wrote in message
. ..

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
This might sound like a dumb question, but is there a proper orientation
for an outlet? I'm looking at the replacement outlet that I am going to
install and I notice (based purely on the text stamped on the outlet
face) that the text on the outlet is upside down if you put the ground
prong on the bottom, but the text on the outlet is rightside up and
readible, the ground prong is on top of the hot and neutral prong.

Does the orientation matter so far as code is concerned? Is there a
reason why having the ground tap on the top would be necessarily a bad
thing - if only because the cords wouldn't stay in the outlet or you'd
have to always twist the cord 180 degrees when you plugged in.

Ground lug up, for the reason that if a metal cover plate comes off it
hits the ground first. Left to right orientation the hot goes up.

Rich

Alright, I hadn't thought of that.