Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Barowski Larry Barowski is offline

Default AC drip pan (internal) poor design?

While fixing a clog in the internal drip pan drain of my
home's AC, I noticed that the drain is not on the very
bottom of the pan. Even when the pan is fully drained
there is about 1/8 inch of water in it, and this water is
(just barely) in contact with the bottom of the cooling
fins. Is there any reason to have water in the pan at
all times, or is this an idiotic design, as I suspect? The
pan is PVC, so I'm thinking of adding a drain to the
bottom of the pan by drilling a hole and gluing a flanged
pvc end to the bottom, if there is no good reason not to.