Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default sewing desk plans

Older machines were the same size as the newer ones. I have a 1960 Singer
401G sitting right behind me at the moment. It is bigger than my 1996
serger. It is only slightly smaller than my industrial hemstitcher. I do
have a 1948 Singer 99K that is smaller but it was made as a 3/4 size
machine. The first thing the OP needs to do is determine if the machine he
wants the cabinet for is a plate mount or free arm. Most all modern machines
are free arm and do not have hinges. This is the reason that most cabinets
these days have lifts. Older ones were usually plate mount and did have
hinges.

"John (aka wheelzuk)" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi Speedbuggy,

I'd like to suggest you maybe Google for Singer Sewing Machines circa 1920
to 1965 for potential photographs of the type of table/desk your Mom had
when you were younger.

Machines these days are considerably larger than their ancient forebearers,
I'm not sure you'd manage to comfortably fit one into a similar table to the
ones I certainly remember from childhood.