Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default 382 pieces

Ed Sirett wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:09:16 +0000, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Are they worth 6GBP?

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4321.html

This looks better than the selection pack from s/fix which does not have
the larger sizes, this has let me down a couple of times.

The use of the O-ring as shown in the picture was silly as this
application should use a flat washer.

It's not so often you are wrong, but you are right again :-)

Another aspect of these low cost O rings, is the question of if it is
fit for purpose? Under normal domestic use, an O ring from the op source
may not be up to its final use.

Ed, how do the various materials used to make O rings, behave when in
contact with gas? What are they made from? How do they react?

Can these O rings be used for hot water?
Can they be used for cold water (less that 0 degrees C)?
Are they frost safe?
Can they be used on a petrol machine?

I ask this, because the material that they are made from may not suit
every application. Also, depending on what material they are made from,
determines what lubricant is suitable for them. e.g. Silicon rubber
requires silicon lube.

Dave