Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] kilowatt@charter.net is offline

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

On Oct 16, 1:27 pm, wrote:

I'm not an electrician, but I would guess that you are perfectly legal
with installing a 20-amp socket on a circuit with 12 AWG wire and a
20-amp breaker. You do have to be careful that you don't run other
stuff on the circuit, of course. I would periodically, maybe once per
month or so, put your hand on the plug to make sure that it's not
generating a lot of heat. If and when that happens, I would replace the
plug and the socket.

Send me a cup of that coffee. I'm curious to know what it tastes like.

You can put an unlimited amount of 16 amp appliances on one 20 amp
circuit. The problem comes in when you try to use them at the same
time. I am guessing that that all but the warmer on the espresso
machine would not be used more than 20 min a day.

If you want espresso and toast and want to use the microwave at the
same time then you should consider having more circuits.

Trying to do all of this at the same time is not unsafe. It would just
trip the breaker.