Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Insurance To Have When A Contractor Works On Your House ?

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:00:19 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Will be having a contractor in to put up some new siding.

I remember reading quiote some time ago that it is a wise idea to protect
yourself with some kind of insurance in case the contractor doesn't pay his
workers and they file a lien against you, (as well as against the
contractor), which apparently they can do.

What kind of insurance am I thinking of ?
Is it something I get, or insist that the contractor have ?

What other insurance should I check to see that the contractor has ?

If he's not too thrilled about giving me the details on this, how can I
check
what, and if, he actually has ?

Thanks,
Bob

IMHO:

Get a copy of all required insurances. Insurance agencies give a
page, like your car's insurance card but bigger, summerizing the
protection covered. Then call the insurance agency and see that it is
inforce. Then call the exact day they start work, to make sure it is
still inforce.

The insurances I was would look for is:

1. General Liablity.
2. Workmen's Comp.

But then this is just me, I don't generally trust contracters.

later,

tom