Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Problem blowing out sprinkler

According to Tony Hwang :

Tour compressor is too small.
I blow my 7 zone system myself and compressor is belt driven Campbell
Houser Extreme duty one. I can barely do the job with this one.

Good heavens.

I blow my 9 zone system with a piddly 3/4HP CH compressor with a
3 gal tank without any trouble whatsoever.

Yes, it can't blow each of the lines continuously, but that's
not the issue here - the air tank will recharge, it just takes
a bit of patience.

Remember: there's water in the lines. If you stick 30PSI or
more of air pressure behind the water, you can damn betcha that
water is going to blow the popups up at least until the first
one in the series blows air.

[In my case, the air flow from the _tank_ is enough to have all
of the popups in a 13 popup string blow air. The popups that are
closer to the air tank fall after blowing air for a while, but the
later ones will still pop.]

If that's not working, you have either a massive air leak somewhere
(which you should hear), or the valve/vacuum breaker/whatever aren't
working the way you think they are, and the air isn't going anywhere.

Yes, 150' of airline seems kinda much, but, that should still
be far more than enough to get more than a faint gurgle.

I think something's stuck somewhere in the OP's situation.

Perhaps the zone valves are being stubborn. I have some where
the manual lever doesn't work.

My system has the water supply "fork" to the underground sprinklers
and a hose bib just beyond the feed shutoff in the house. I turn
off the shutoff, connect the air compressor to the hose bib, open
the hosebib valve, and in turn manually switch each of the zone valves.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est