Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default drill press workaround?

wrote in message
oups.com...
yup, that was it. I found that little set screw that allowed me to
turn the head. Sorry, havent used much drill press before. But thats
definately handy to know!
I just wish my 1" forstner wouldn't take forever to drill! I even
switched the rpm all the up, still seems to take a while...
thanks for the tips!

I hope that 's a carbide Forstner. Turning the speed up on steel Forstners,
especially carbon steel, is a good way to ruin the bit.

If it's cutting slowly odds are that it's dull.

Also, in deep holes Forstners aren't self-clearing--you have to pull them
out and clear the hole occasionally.

If it's a deep hole you might want to start with a 3/4" auger or twist drill
and the finish with the Forstner.

wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
have a 4x4 post that i want to drill a straight hole into the top of,
however the post is longer than the drill press is tall. The base of
the drill stand is what gets in the way if I put the press on a bench
or something. Anyone have a good work around to this?

On lots of drill presses, the head is retained only by a set screw or
clamp bolt or 2. If you loosen or remove it you may be able to swing
the head around so it is not over the base. Likewise, you may be able
to loosen the base from the column and swing it at that point also.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -