Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim W Tim W is offline

Default Glue Creep - Was Bent Lamination

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
Below is an interesting thread on glue creep.
In furniture making or general woodworking I have never experienced glue
creeping after the glue has set. Yet others (below) have or are concerned
about it.
Has anyone ever seen this situation (other than structural adhesives or
severe heat/abuse)?

PVA Glue never sets hard, it remains slightly gooey when dry and allows a
little creeping. This can be good or bad. I have seen it many times.

If you glue up boards edge to edge to make a table top with PVA and you want
a fine finish you will never with any amount of sanding be able to make the
glue line disappear, because the movement of the wood will perpetually cause
creeping in the joint. It is very slight but quite visible with a fine
finish. The best glue for that kind of application is therefore one which
sets hard like a rock like Cascamite. If you want to joint across the grain
then creeping can be a distinct advantage because it allows a little
movement without the joint breaking or the wood splitting.

Tim W