Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default safe winter heating

Troy wrote in
:

I'm wondering with winter roaring in, whats the safest way to heat my
refrigerator of a 2-car garage. It has roll-up doors so theres some
gap there. It's insulated on some walls and not on others, and
covered with 1/2" plywood. It has about a 6" "flue vent" from the
previous owner where apparently they used to have a wood stove, but
now that would be in my office space, so not much help to the shop
itself. I'm still working on a good dust collecting method, but with
sub-zero temperatures coming I really don't want to freeze my fingers
off.

Troy

I'm considering getting an infrared thermometer to look for the heat
escape points in our garage. I've got the big ones sealed up, and let
me tell you that a 1/2" by 12" hole above a window can make a several
degree difference.

Insulate where you can, and fix the holes you can fix. You'll help
yourself out tremendously by doing that. (For patches in some places,
you can use regular cardboard.)

Puckdropper