Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default infrared thermometer

Andy Hall wrote:

On 2006-10-15 11:48:31 +0100, "Ron" said:

Hi, I am becoming obsessed :-) with temperature and heat loss etc.
around my house and thought I would get an infrared thermometer to
measure wall temperatures and other things such as the temerature of
overhead clouds if possible. Any suggestions as to what type of
infrared thermometer I should get? Not too expensive as my grandson is
buying it for my birthday.
Thanks Ron

Maplin usually have some that are fairly inexpensive.

I bought one of those about 12 months ago and it is perfect for winding
up the landlord of my local real ale pub. The one thing he hates is to
be told that is serving his beer at the wrong temperature. A quick pull
of the trigger and he is convinced.

On the other hand, I did find it very difficult to balance my heating
with it. I ended up measuring the temp of the rad at point of entry and
exit. Trying to measure the pipes proved very variable.

Dave