Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default A Bit OT - Satellite & Terrestrial TV in West Cork, Ireland

On 2006-10-16 20:50:33 +0100, Adrian said:

Hi Andy

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:15:37 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2006-10-16 18:28:10 +0100, Adrian said:

HI Andy

Basically the dish isn't large enough. Signal strength needs to be
higher, but more
importantly the signal quality.

My thoughts entirely

Why would they fit a 'too small' dish ?
Seems to be asking for trouble

Perhaps this is what the distributor had in stock and told them it was OK.

Ooh you cynic ! g

Wouldn't be the first time. Surely you've been to a plumbers
merchants when the local trade are in there for the morning mothers
meeting. I wouldn't expect a big difference.....

However, it's really the error rate that counts.

Agreed - that'd be the 'quality' reading on the setup screen ?

Exactly.

The other thing to do before they come back is to take a look at this site

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html

For the satellite bands used by Sky, (and many others), there are two
bands (high and low) and vertically and horizontally polarised signals.
When you select the program you want to watch on the receiver, it sends
appropriate control signals up the cable to the LNB at the dish to
select which of the 4 permutations should be used - it as actually the
LNB that does the band and polarisation selection.

What I would recommend is to choose a program at the bottom, middle and
top of each band and of each polarisation (i.e. 12 programs
altogether). Note them down with the Sky channel numbers. Then when
the installers come back, try them all out and make sure they are OK,
ideally when it's raining. If all of this works reliably, then you
can be reasonably confident that all channels will.

Fairy nuff - will do some homework - thanks !

I hadn't spotted that you had a Sky+ box. That doesn't really make a
difference to the above. Effectively there are two or possibly 4
independent LNBs in one at the dish.

Adrian