Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Also disconnect the door from the opener and verify that it moves
freely, with minimal force. It should stay put, or just about so, at
mid-span, when let go.

plus it must move easily everywhere, your door probably has a bind....

While we're at it, I have this same problem right now with my Craftsman
on one bay. I haven't had time to look at it yet. I did verify that
nothing was blocking the lights. But, I don't think that is the
problem, as it does move down a foot or so before reversing. If the
lights were blocked, it would not even start to go down.

Well, here's the interesting part. I installed this unit just over a
year ago. When I was all done putting it in and was doing the final
testing, there was a huge bang, right while I was standing there. One
of the extension type springs had broken. Had nothing to do with the
opener, I hadn't even touched it. It was just it's time to go. It
didnt have a safety cable either, so I was very lucky.

Now, the interesting part. To replace the spring, I put a bath scale
under the door and weighed it. Went to HD and got what were supposed
to be the correct springs for that weight, in fact they were rated for
just above the actual weight of the door, because I rounded up. They
were not even close. I had to get either the next size heavier or
maybe even 2 sizes, don't remember now. One thing I noticed was that
the new springs are all much smaller in diameter than the old ones.
When I was done, the door was perfectly balanced.

Now, a year later, when the door was reversing, I had to disconnect it
to close it. I was quite surprised to find that the door now comes
down with considerable weight. Both springs are still connected and
as they were. So, it looks to me like these new springs have lost
some of their tension. Are these new ones some crap that is inferior?

Next question is if I can adjust or need new ones. I plan to work
on that and see if it fixes the opener problem.