Posted to alt.home.repair
Jacob Jacob is offline

Default Toilet slowly draining

the water level in the tank is definitely not reaching the overflow. I
have tried setting the float to it's lowest position an it still does
it. I have found the level at which it does NOT do it, by pulling the
float up manually to stop the water. The level is below the lowest
float setting and I dont think there is enough water in the tank to
flush properly.

it can't be the flapper. if the flapper was leaking then the water
level in the tank would drop and the water would have to kick on when
the float moved down and that doesn't happen. plus the water I hear
running is only for about 30 seconds after the tank fills up. then it
stops and everything is fine until next flush.

I think I may understand what is going on. correct me if i'm wrong. I
think that the wax seal is constricting the flow through the
passageway. when the water level in the bowl falls below the depth of
the seal (after a flush), the vacuum should be relieved and the water
in the passageway should all flow quickly into the drain. instead,
because it is constricted by the wax, it flows slower than it should.
before all of the water can be drained the water level in the bowl
rises above the seal creating a vacuum which stops the draining. at
that point I no longer hear the water draining into the pipe. but not
all of it has drained. this might also explain the water sound when the
water level in the bowl rises without being flushed. the water level
on both sides of the seal will rise equally. when this happens, the
water level on the passageway side rises so something must be
displaced. so the water at the constricted end of the pipe (the end of
the vacuum..?) is displaced into the drain, hence the trickling noise.
does this make sense?

Dano wrote:
1. Take the cover off the tank and flush the toilet. Does the water
get to the top of the overflow? I am guessing it does. If so, adjust
your float so the valve shuts off before it reaches the overflow -
there is likely a water level line indicated on the tank wall somewhere
that you can adjust to. Based on your description, I think this is the
most likely culprit.

2. To check for tank leak (bad flapper), as someone suggested - put a
few drops of food color into the tank and leave it alone for 1/2 hr.
Check the bowl - if colored you have a leak. This is great for
checking silent leaks which can be very expensive in places like FL
where water cost is high.

I don't think your issue has anything at all to do with your install.

Jacob wrote:
I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds like
someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that the
drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax. is
this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob